The radio alarm clock went off at 7am this morning. On a Saturday. I woke up, switched the radio off, and promptly fell back asleep, waking up again at 9am.

Knowing we would be heading to my in-laws for lunch, I jumped in the shower, put on some clean clothes, made a coffee, and then set about clearing washing up from the night before. I swear we have house elves that have tea parties in the middle of the night – there’s no other explanation for the washing up that appears overnight.

We finally left mid-morning and set out on the drive to my other half’s Mum’s house. It takes about three quarters of an hour, and was accompanied this morning by a never-ending stream of conversation from Miss 14. We told her to shut up more than once, which seemed to cause her to burst into song rather than talk non-stop.

My mother in law fell over while running a few weeks ago, doing quite a bit of damage to the tendons in her leg. She’s in a full-length leg brace for six weeks, and I imagine is going out of her mind with boredom. She had invited us over, which meant my brother in law would be cooking – for the five of us, and the two of them. I bought him beer on the way, and stood in the kitchen helping him drink it while he got on with the cooking.

I learned a long time ago that when somebody else knows what they are doing next in a kitchen, you’re actually a massive hindrance, rather than a help. That’s what I told myself as I chugged my way through two pints of cider anyway.

Lunch was really good – roast dinner with meat, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and gravy. After we all finished I helped wash up in the kitchen, and then took the children into town to spend the pocket money their Nan had just given them.

After we returned – complete with colouring books, pencils, stationary sets, and whatever else teenage girls gravitate towards when pocket money is burning a hole in their pocket – I struggled to stay awake. Every time my head nodded down as I sat with the girls at the dining table, watching them colour, they shouted at me, and I opened my eyes again – smiling.

We rounded out the day by keeping my mother in law company – sitting with her watching Winter Olympics highlights – before getting back in the car to retrace our morning journey.

Several hours later, the house is silent. The girls are in bed, their older sister is at a sleepover, and I’m sitting in the junk room typing this into the old computer. After posting this to the blog I may well go collapse into bed, ready to do battle with the washing machine in the morning.


10 thoughts on “Saturday”

  1. A normal day … sometimes is the most pleasant surprise . Boring & bland suits me just fine … headed out with friends for another exhausting Santa Barbara night .. this is a party town but I have convinced them to just watch the sunset over the ocean … they can drown in their drinks while I soak in the sunshine . Cheers!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Sounds like a perfect weekend day to me! I too have “house elves” that leave a trail every morning when I awake. What a sweet day with your mother-in-law. I’m sure she appreciated you more than you’ll know. My daughter broke her foot 2 years ago and it’s so hard going from active to not. Isn’t life cool when it seems like you’re not doing much but in reality you’re doing so much more in others’ hearts? Thanks for sharing!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s